Monday, December 12, 2011

First Batch

Baking cookies. In our minds we pretend that putting the batter together and the entire baking process will be a filled night of happiness and joy. As if we were in our own Christmas movie special.
I am going to share my first cookie night of the holiday season of 2011.
I started the baking spirit after dinner, as my Little One quickly goes AWOL to watch a movie. I am one down and solo in the help department. There goes the family togetherness night. I kept moving along thinking positive. I started off with putting together oatmeal cookies. My wonderful mixer has the batter all finished. I have my wire racks out, the ove-heated, and the Christmas music is blaring. I put the first dozen in the oven. My sister calls me and we chatted on the phone about our days. I was looking at my batter and happened to glance at my recipe.
 I forgot the eggs.

Clear and loud it is heard, "OH SHIT! I FORGOT THE EGGS!" I am sure my sister had to pull the phone away from her ear, not to mention my Little One was in clear ear shot. I am wondering if I will get a call from the school tomorrow....

Who forgets the eggs in cookies???
a main ingredient....


I scrambled about what I should do to my sister who I was still on the phone with. We both had no idea what eggs actually do in the batter. What their job is. I am hoping that someone will read this story, google the answer and post it for me - because all the energy I have is quickly deflating.

I looked into the oven, the cookies were not forming. I made a quick decision to put the oven cookies back into the main batter. The main batter now had the proper amount of eggs. It all sounded like a grand idea in my head. The oatmeal cookies turned out well enough that the Little One tested the cookies and ate two of them. Accomplished.
So, what possessed me to put green and red M&Ms in the oatmeal batter? I wanted to see if it would work. I poured the entire bag in.. all in or nothing! Right? Delusion has set in.
The cookies were not working (of course..)! I told my Beau to call his mother and ask her what was wrong. Of course that would way too much work to physically talk on the phone and ask for help. It was not like I told him to ask for directions!
Instead he looks the recipe up on the Internet. (I wonder why I did not do that in the first place...?) I turned down the heat and they turned out okay.
I do have to say I burned the second to last batch of cookies because I forgot to put on the timer. The way I see it, if you do not burn some cookies or burn yourself, and  are sweating hot - are you really baking?
So, the first set of Christmas Cookies are finished. I wonder what the rest of the week will entail!



The burned batch...
 The batter, finally almost done.
I think I might have had a bit to many m&ms

The GRAND finale! End results: Plain Oatmeal over on far left,
burned cookies in the middle, 'good' cookies scattered...
Ready for freezing. Which one will you get?



Second Batch
 soon to come.....
 unless cookie
 nervous break down
 happens.
I need some elves.

No comments:

Post a Comment