Sunday, October 14, 2012

A Practice Journey

I hope that someone reads this post to justify me not working on my 10 pager paper for school. At least a couple 'likes' would do. Right?

        For my Masters degree I need to attend two face-to-face classes at Concordia St. Paul. The problem is that I do not drive into the cities (all of the suburbs are dumped into one category. The Cities) Today was going to be the practice run. I felt like I was going to sing a solo in front of a mass audience. The plan was to leave after lunchtime. Now, most people would make sandwiches and chips, a pizza... something simple. My nerves decided that I need to make Alfredo. Not just noodles and sauce, the whole friggen entree. Chicken, broccoli... I sat down to eat, ate maybe five bites and decided that this was not  the smartest choice.
     My stomach is growling as we are an hour away from home. We stop at a gas station and I grab a chai tea, the Little one gets a hot chocolate and Beau gets a coffee. I asked the Beau to go back in the gas station to grab a plastic bag for garbage. (Remember the bag.. it comes up later in the journey)
     I have to say most people would think it is silly that someone is nervous about driving to the Cities or a town that has more than 4 lanes of traffic. I knew I had no choice to drive this ride, otherwise I would always be the passenger.. I grew up in a small town where the biggest excitement is tipping cows. Am I painting a picture as to why this task was so daunting?
   As I begin to drive on 3 lanes of traffic my adrenaline starts to pump up and I tell the Beau to quick text my sister that I am doing it. There is no turning back now.  As I am driving through tunnels and the lanes seem to grow to 4 and 5... we finally reach our destination of Concordia University. I think this means I can drive there. (hopefully the roads are decent... my greatest fear) I can do this. Right?


   Now we're here. Do we turn back around and go home. 3 hours driving in the car and back right into the car? There was a park nearby and so we stretched our legs. and enjoyed the scenery.








 

The Beau took over driving and we toured all the Victorian houses, the outside of the Capitol, and all the surrounding artwork by the Capitol. It was pretty spectacular.
 
 
    By this time my chai tea was out of the system. I was starving along with the other two. I drove out of the Cities and into a different town where we ate at Qdoba. This eatery is like a Mexican Subway.  I  did not realize that when you order a burrito from the kids menu all you get it mixed in a bowl. Really? So, we sit down and eat and as the Little One keeps making puppy faces and opening her mouth toward my dinner. I tell her to eat her own food. I should have gotten my dinner with onions on it... Apparently, mine was better than hers. I finally said, "Do you just want mine?" I got an excited reply of sure. Damn. I paid thirty dollars to watch everyone eat. Its okay.. I only wanted to have two bites of my dinner. I honestly can say what we do as parents is unbelievable. We are rock stars. Of course Little One does not finish it and I get back a plate of destroyed food. Uh, pass. I'll sigh and drink my diet coke. The grumpy hungers are starting to take over as I start to drive back home. We drive for a while and I feel my stomach starting to turn on me as the acid is building in because there is nothing in my stomach. It is hard to be mad at your child for too long, so you get mad at the slow driver in front of you for giving you heartburn and taking your dinner. It is their fault. The drive continues and why my brain starts to conjure the plan that chai tea will take away the hunger and heartburn. Huh. It seemed like a great idea. As we continue or drive toward home, I get sternly told to go pick up medicine. I can't now, man! I am a martyr. I got no dinner and now I'll just suffer through it all! Sips more chai tea


    So, here is the grand finale to my journey to the Cities. We are getting close to home.. half hour or so, and a whiff of skunk floats into my nostrils. That. was. it.  I lost any dignity I had left. I started dry-heaving and does that stop there? I am gasping through heaves as I exclaim, "Give me the bag, I am going to puke!" That bag saved the night. I have to say, I drove to the cities with out complication and when I drove home I threw up in the bag while still managing to keep us on the road. Yeah, I am finding someway to be proud of the situation.
Our journey ended on a note of sleepiness and readiness to relax. I hope now I can do the trip alone and will definitely make sure I have a Holiday Gas station bag.

No comments:

Post a Comment